Sunday, September 7, 2008

Some Call it Sweet

As some people may be able to guess from the title (although I doubt many people will), I recently turned 16. A birthday is never a big celebration to me, and 16 had no real importance but sometimes you hear of people turning 16 and getting a car for their birthday, before they even have a license. I have no plans of any driving just yet, but I decided to try my hand at an origami car, based on Robert Lang's and Joseph Wu's recent cars. I started folding, and it turned into an SUV instead. In fact, it looked an awful lot like a Honda Element, an ugly small-ish SUV that looks like a box on wheels. So that ended up as my name for the model. The CP is fairly simple, and even uses the same method as the podium to make the front and windshield.
Honda Element CP

As you can see, the model is made using simple pleats and locks. However, I didn't include some creases such as the wheels, which I made using 22.5° folds, as well as the doors and windows, which are simply creases.
Honda Element, Ryan MacDonell
Honda Element, Ryan MacDonell

5 comments:

Finward Mei Long said...

Well, not everyone wants a delivery van for their 16 anniversary. But at least you got a car. When i turned 16 i was lucky to receive a pretty plain cellphone...
You have a wonderful stuff cupcake, keep going.

Cupcake said...

Thanks!
Haha, I didn't get a car. In fact, I don't think I've ever met anyone who received a car for their 16th, but I've heard about it in other places.
My total presents this year were a T-Shirt and a backpack. Every year I get less, which is exactly what I want :D

Finward Mei Long said...

I meant you received a car as a present from your own hands... I think it was hard to understand it like a metaphor from my lousy writing.
You have a weird conception of presents in birthdays. I have a constant in presents, what diminishes is the people that reminds my birthday. And is for people for what i don't care that much...
Happy (delayed) Birthday Cupcake!!!

Capt said...

I like the looks of it, but without directions it's tough to make. :|

violet-skates said...

I like what it looks like but without any directions I just get a scrunched-up piece of paper. Like Capt said. :-(