Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tessellation Application?

Not too long ago, I was exploring an application for tessellations in representational origami. I intended on using a triangle grid, but I guess that I could call this a start. For some reason, I decided to fold some square twists side by side, and found that if you folded in between two of them, it looked a lot like eyes. At first, I had the idea of making a fish out of this, but found that there simply wasn't enough paper with the grid I was using (maybe I'll make a fish some other time...). I also noticed that the part beneath the eyes looked a lot like a triangular nose, so I added a mouth and eyebrows. I ended up with a Tiki Mask, a wooden mask from Central Eastern Polynesian islands in the Pacific. Here is my CP:
Tiki Mask CP

I didn't include a grid, but it shouldn't be too hard to guess. All vertical and horizontal lines are on a 16:16 grid. After you fold the base, all you need to do is fold in the sides however you feel like folding them. Enjoy!
Tiki Mask, Ryan MacDonell

No comments: