Monday, August 18, 2008

Podium

I decided to stick with the Olympic theme for my next design when I was wondering what to fold next. I had been thinking before of making a podium from the center of the paper, but hadn't figured out how yet. I didn't really expect it to be as hard as it was. I based my model on Shonen's method of making 3D shapes. However, I couldn't simply make 3 blocks for the podium, so I added some of my own ideas. I started with a 16:16 grid and used the middle 4 squares as the top square of the highest podium. I decided that the middle would be the height of a cube, the left one would be 2/3rds that height and the right would be 1/3 the height. I then made a square 1/3 to the left of the middle square and another 2/3rds to the right. I used Shonen's building block fold to put them at the heights and folded them back out halfway to keep the outer faces. Then I simply finished the model with some more building block folds on the corners. All of that led to this:
Podium, Ryan MacDonell
Podium, Ryan MacDonell
If that isn't enough description, Here is a CP. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally have it.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Shonen said...

Wow, nice one! ^_^

Clean model, and you even took the pains to make a CP =)

Good work!

My work is astoundingly similar to Natan's, especially the ones i suddenly created over the past few days hahaha