Monday, September 3, 2007

African Drums

I was recently requested to fold an african drum, by someone which I will call a drum expert. Not just any african drum, but a Djembe. Of course, at first I thought that a djembe was pretty much conical. Upon searching on google, I found out that it's actually not really conical. However, it was possible to make a cone and then push in the sides in certain parts to make the right shape. So, my CP for the model makes a rough cone. On the octagon in the center, the side is three 32nds from the side. In other words, this model is based on a 32:32 grid.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

By pushing in on the sides in the right part, you should end up with this model. However, it's harder than it looks! I tried to make the flaps around the top part look like strings.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very authentic looking Djembe.
Nice work!

Finward Mei Long said...

Very nice Cupcake. remembers me to the huffman tower