Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Little Bit of Editing

This Christmas, I received a the "Mythical Creature Origami Book & Gift Set" by Duy Nguyen. Just by looking at the cover, I could tell that it wasn't much in the way of pure origami. However, the paper that came with it is nice, and holds folds well. I just need to find some nice simple models that will go with the patterns... The set came with a book, 50 sheets of paper and a terribly folded dragon. Whoever folded it confused some reverse folds with valley or mountain folds, and couldn't do some other folds (I don't blame them, the book isn't very well labeled in many spots). I was looking through the book, and decided to see how the dragon was supposed to be folded. It was actually one of the only models that didn't require cutting the base in two right away, but there was still plenty of cutting. I folded the dragon as best I could with the diagrams and without cutting, and then improvised to make my own parts that didn't need any cutting. Seeing as I changed the head, tail, wings and arms and pretty much everything else, I decided to call it my own design, but still give him credit. It looks quite similar in a few ways, but it is folded quite differently. Here is the CP that I used, which is almost the same as the original model's CP.
Nguyen Dragon CP

The tail is quite easy to make, because all it involved is opening up the end, such as on many other designs with tails. The arms are made from the two flaps at the chest area, and what were originally legs became the breastplate. The wings are a bit more complicated. They involve opening up the ends until they are at the original 22.5° form. Shoulder blades can also be made from the other ends (near the neck) of each wing. Someday, I hope to make a nice, big, complicated dragon, but until then, theres this one.
Nguyen Dragon, Ryan MacDonell
Nguyen Dragon, Ryan MacDonell

No comments: