Friday, May 9, 2008

And Then Comes the Diplopod

As mentioned before, I recently did a large project for Biology class. At the end of each project, everyone had to have an evaluation to see whether everyone actually understood, and my partner decided to make a game called Arthropodapardy (like Jeopardy). I got to make the prises for this game, which consisted of an ant (Class Insecta) and a horseshoe crab (Class Merostomata). I didn't have enough time to make the last, a millipede (Class Diplopoda) but I ended up doing it right after my presentation. It ended up really basic, but also accurate. The legs are just the ends of each body segment. You can see what I mean by looking at the CP below, from a 4:1 rectangle.
Photobucket

The leg parts are just crimped body segments that are separated from each other. This model can actually be made out of whatever rectangle you want to make it out of, although I find that 6:1 or 8:1 works best. It should be made with proportions in multiples of two, for best results. The model actually wont curve without thinning unless you pull one side of the body segment for each spot that you want to curve.
Millipede, Ryan MacDonell
Millipede, Ryan MacDonell

This is my 100th design! Amazing what one can achieve in two years (minus two months).

No comments: