Sunday, February 25, 2007

Pigs from boxes?

I started designing models out of box pleating right after I folded my first two boxpleating models, Tran Trung Hieu's Luna Moth and Eric Joisel's Dwarf. So far, I've only been able to design two things (and ones still incomplete).

My first ever design from box pleating was a simple pig. The design challenge on the english origami forum for "Best of Show Pig Contest 2007" had started, so I designed a simple little pig from a 16:16 grid...:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...and folded it
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then, because of my friend from the BZFlag forum with the username WarPig, I decided to design my own little War Pig from his avatar. Heres what I ended up with, out of a 24:24 grid, although it's not completely finished:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You kind of have to cut along the red lines, so purists beware!

That CP makes this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As I said, I'm still working on it, and I'm pretty sure that I'll have a model with no cuts very soon.

2 comments:

steven said...

thats a nice challenge!
lets have a challenge too
i belive it can speed up our learning process n enthusiasm in designing

Anonymous said...

There is a monthly challenge topic going on on the origami forum. I think it's making a human skull out of a square right now...