Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mermaid

I have little idea how I came up with this design. I was trying a simple harpoon using boxpleating, and it didn't really work out. Through a bit of doodling with the base (from the harpoon, all I added were the fingers)and I somehow ended up with something that has two arm, and then two other long flaps. These long flaps became hair, a body and a tail. I had folded a mermaid!
The only problem is that color changes don't work well with this model. I guess it's best to fold it all from green or blue paper.
The base is somewhat based on a 16:16 grid (on the sides).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The model needs quite a bit of shaping. Using this base, you get a bit of a tail, two arms and a long stretch of paper. Good luck!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: