Friday, February 19, 2016

Eight months to publication

When I was at the Origami USA annual convention last year, I had a lot more time than usual to design. Anyone who went to the exhibition might have seen my haphazard display that included "Walrus (designed last night)". I also spent some time doodling with other designers, and at one point a came up with something that looked fishy — in the literal sense. Unless you count the dolphin, I haven't really designed a fish that I've been satisfied with. The idea was very simple (based on a preliminary base), but with the original colour changes and the big sail on the back the original design didn't look like anything in particular. I wanted to make it into a marlin or a sailfish at the time, but I couldn't decide how to fix the colours. Here is the CP for what I'd come up with:


In the past couple months, I found out that my school has a new origami club so I decided to go and teach/play around with designs. I kept coming back to this designs, making an iteration about once a week. I was finally satisfied with the design just the other day, so I folded the final version to post online, looked at pictures of marlins and sailfish to decide which it was and realized it looked like neither. Luckily, realized that to make it look more like a marlin I just needed to add a ventral fin and change the tail colour and I had enough extra paper for both with the same base.

Marlin

I would like to say that I'll get out the other ideas from OUSA soon, but clearly it might take a bit more time. In the time since my last post I transferred to a Ph.D. and became a student athlete so my schedule has been pretty full! Fortunately, having a local origami club gives me the excuse to make some time to design new things.

1 comment:

Barth Dunkan said...

Cool,j'adore :)So thanks :)