Monday, September 7, 2009

They can do that?

I only found out yesterday that herons can bend their knees backwards. I guess now that I think of it, other birds (like flamingos) can too. I guess it wasn't something that I really thought about. This month on the english origami forum, the challenge is Models from a triangle. I was thinking tessellation at first and I tried to fold one from a 45-45-90 triangle. Once I figured out that I wasn't going to get anything nice, I tried something more like my usual models. I ended up with long neck, long legs and a fairly small body. With a bit of details, it became a heron! I was just about to fold the final model this morning when I found out that I could open sink the legs back to make the wings go farther back on the body, so I had to go back and refold it some more. Here is the CP that I got after that:
Photobucket

There are quite a few details for this model. The neck can go up with a double rabbit ear, and the legs should be folded thinner and so that they are color changed. Where the wings stick out on the back can be tucked in. two outside reverse folds on the neck can make a curved chape, and then you can fold the head and thin the front to make the beak. Here is what I ended up with:
Heron, Ryan MacDonell
Heron, Ryan MacDonell